Call for Artists: Sauti za Busara 2021
With regard to the global coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we would like to assure everyone we are closely monitoring and assessing developments in order to make an informed decision on whether to proceed with the next edition of Sauti za Busara festival in Zanzibar during 11 - 14 February 2021.
We remain optimistic "the show will go on" and encourage all artists playing unique music connected to Africa to apply to participate. Our overriding priority is the safety and security of local Tanzanians, the broader music community and everyone involved in staging this high-profile event.
Keep safe and best wishes from Team Busara.
Sauti za Busara, one of Africa’s top music festivals, is now in its 18th season.
Preference is given to:
The next edition is scheduled in Stone Town, Zanzibar during 11 – 14 February 2021.
The Call for Artists is open only until midnight (EAT) on 31st July 2020.
Sauti za Busara showcases live, original and diverse music from the African Continent and diaspora.
Musicians representing the Arab World and Indian Ocean region are also welcome to apply.
- Unique music with cultural identity that is connected to Africa, the Arab World and Indian Ocean
- Women artists, or groups led by women
- Young, new and emerging talents
- Music with messages that are positive, relevant and useful to society
- Music that is performed ‘100% live’!
Music In Africa profile link
Music In Africa (www.musicinafrica.net) is the leading information and exchange platform for African artists. To support your application consider uploading your profile to the Music In Africa portal and paste a link to this below. A Music In Africa profile acts as an EPK(electronic press kit); if you keep this updated with latest audio and video releases, it will greatly enhance your global visibility and possibly lead to bookings beyond Sauti za Busara.
Register here to upload your profile to Music in Africa portal
To apply to participate, please send all documents as listed below. Incomplete applications or those received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Application form*
- Artists’ profile/biography*
- Link to Artist’s profile on the Music In Africa portal (www.musicinafrica.net)
- Latest audio release (send 2 CDs by post, or maximum 3 songs by WeTransfer/dropbox/google drive)
- Video of live performance (send 1 DVD by post, or 1 clip by WeTransfer/dropbox/google drive)
- 2 promotional photos (high-resolution)
- Stage Plan and Technical Rider (if available)
Supporting documents must be clearly labeled and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Printed applications should be sent to the following address:
Sauti za Busara festival manager,
P O Box 3635
Please mark your package clearly: “Contents not for sale. For promotional use only”
The submission deadline to receive your complete application is midnight (EAT) on 31st July 2020
If selected, Sauti za Busara will cover the following expenses for participating artists (+ 1 crew member):
- Modest honorarium, aka performance fee
- Per-diems, for meals and incidentals
- Accommodation in Zanzibar
- All local transport related to the performance
- Tanzanian visa costs
- Festival passes, including access to all shows for the duration of the event
- Invitations to Movers & Shakers (networking for professionals), press conferences and other events
- Artist’s profile in festival programmes, press releases, website and social media platforms.
The selection committee meets in August to finalise the line-up for Sauti za Busara 2021.
Applicants will be notified of outcomes before September.
Artists from outside the region are usually required to find their own travel sponsors.